14562 days ago
I have no idea why, but throughout my life I have been able to naturally overcome whatever problem I found myself in by always searching for new opportunities in even the worst situations.
Not sure where I learned it, or who helped me think that way, but I do know that it has been a big help in my life. Especially since I love investing, and investing requires risk. I have had plenty of deals blow up in my face, but rather than dwell on them, I have always tried to step back, and find the opportunity within the problem.
Okay, so here are a few examples with a wide range of relevance for all.
- Dog died, so we finally bought the kittens my son had been asking for.
- Property fell out of escrow, but ended up finding a better deal the next day.
- After saying we were done having children, my wife got pregnant, happiest day ever, it extended my life experience of having children running around the house in diapers.
- Lost all my income almost overnight, forcing me to go all in on my business, within 1 year we made a million dollars!
- Car accident. Great! New paint for the entire left side.
- A stock I owned went to zero; this made me a better investor, and taught me about the importance of stop losses.
- Our dream home had Turkeys living in it. Great! We got it at a $150,000 discount!
- California IRS, need I say more, moved to Texas with no state income tax.
- Mother was diagnosed with cancer. Today she is completely cancer free and the entire family is healthier now. Eating better, and much more focused on our health and a diet that is in line with disease prevention.
- Became debt free and ruined my credit since I have no credit lines. Okay, great! Now I get to negotiate great deals with homeowners for seller financing, and look around at everything in my home and realize that I own it!
- My dog bit the neighbor’s kid; this became a real life bonding experience between the two families, and now we are super close friends for life.
- Was beat up as a kid once, so I joined karate and loved it, plus, that’s where I met my wife.
- A 4-Plex I really wanted fell out of escrow, so instead, I just bought the business that owned the 4-Plex, I ended up getting more than I wanted for about $37,000 less!
- People wouldn’t hire me without a college degree, so instead, I started a business, now no one asks for a resume and they pay me about 5X more than what I would have made as their employee.
In every negative situation, think about the opportunity it presents. A good exercise is to think of 10 situations where you were up shit creek without a paddle, and think about how that next week, month, or year ended up playing out as a result of that problem.
I am not asking you to stay positive or try and find the good in all, all I am saying is that no matter what the situation is, if you work at it, you can find a positive way forward!